Saturday 16 November 2013

The Halfway Mark Above and Below

14 days left of NaNoWriMo and not only am I behind in my word count but I still don't which letters are meant to be appropriately capitalised- should I do NanoWrimo, or NaNowrimo, or... I spend too much time trying to figure it out instead of writing.
I've just peaked the 20k mark and have just over 2000 words a day to finish. Lucky for me, after tomorrow I'll be heading into five days of no work. Unfortunately for me, after those five days I'll be heading into working every day bar two. There is going to be some major writing days.
Keeping the little graph balanced isn't working like I had hoped, however it's certainly going to better than last year.
If you haven't read my last blog post, then my plans for this year was to do a collection of linked short stories. Now my ideal length for a sort stories is about 1500 words, but I've found myself writing 3000+ for some of them. When there's no pressure to do anything but write, it's what happens, you just write. No longer is there any caring about what people will think, or whether a donkey can really turn into a hippopotamus, it just happens. I think the times that I spend the most thinking is just one naming the characters (it does get hard coming up with so many names, next time they're all being called either Mary or Fred). I've written stories that I probably wouldn't of ever written otherwise, that I would of discontinued after the first paragraph because I know it's leading to crap. But right now, it doesn't matter if it leads to crap. Yes, some people do say that you should put some decency into what you write, but right now, with over 2000 words a day needing to be done, there ain't an ounce of time for decency. Decency comes in the editing, and frankly because of the lack of decency in my piece, I may never do anything do it. But I don't care. It's written, I'll of had fun (so far) and I'll hopefully still be alive to tell the tale (fingers crossed).
Maybe if I was writing a novel it would be different, I'll pay more attention to some of it. But I know that if I really want, I can drag stories out of it and use separately. I don't want to, but if I write a ripper of a story then I will pay more attention to it than to some of the others. Saying that though, I probably won't pay much attention to any of them.
So, all in all the moral of this is that I've just spent writing time on writing blog time. But what does it matter, I've had fun writing this blog, and hey, isn't that what NaNoWriMo's about.

No comments:

Post a Comment